Friday, January 21, 2005

Eid Mubarak and Chemo

I got the all clear to fly. Called the airline to inform them about needles and noxious chemicals I will be carrying. Should be ok to fly with those things in the hand luggage (so long as I don't grow a large beard and a start wearing a turban in the meantime I guess).

Chemo yesterday and some news to turn my hair even greyer. Indeed even to make it fall out now. My chemo mate J had his 4 month CT scan yesterday and was told he is in full remission. Basically no tumours could be detected. HOWEVER he still might be given four more months of treatment ( 8 months in all). I was really hoping this treatment would only go to six months - but if J is given eight months (and he was stage 2 whereas I was stage 3 - a more advanced stage of disease) I suspect I will also be given the same term. My scan is next week. But good for J. I hope he is given only two more months. I will miss the un-pc jokes and general banter we share. I must atleast try and bag some discounted tickets from him - he works for an airline.

Eid-al-Adha today or tomorrow. Not that i am religious in any way...but i was wondering if eid is becoming/has become a commercial event like xmas is in the west. Of course for Saudi it always has been. Last year's pilgrimage earned it $1.38bn from about 1.4million foreigners. And that number is projected to grow. House of Saud has a lot at stake...If you read news from the Gulf about issues concerning charity and distribution of food to the poor and needy at this time, as one does when one has 4 more months of chemo left - bugger! - you will shake your head in disbelief at how this central pillar of islam actually works out. Like most things about this weird place I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home