Monday, March 14, 2005

Re-juvenation

I have not been to bed before midnight in the last three days ( as opposed to 8pm). I eat hot spicy food. I don't feel tired. I get a steady stream of friends visiting and still I am not tired. Yes I know this is the second week after chemo - but even then I can't explain my levels of energy. South Africa? South Africans?

During the 1994 elections, I was reporting for a couple of Bangladesh newspapers, doing my field work and now and then mucking about with ANC campaigners. One of these areas was the Western Areas Branch of the ANC in Durban. I first met Alec Erwin ( now a prominent cabinet member) there. I was shocked to hear yesterday that he has bone cancer. There was apparently some doubt about his cabinet position - but he is still there. Here is someone running the country whilst undergoing chemo....

Tomorrow Soweto.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home