Thursday, February 10, 2005

Taking up the cudgels

When you are bored and running a temperature ( yes over 38 and I should be heading for C10...) there is something very satisfying about having a go at someone. So I picked on my refractory business banking manager and insisted he increased my ATM limit to 500. Knowing well from past experience that he is not polished and that all conversations are recorded, and anticipating that he would refuse ( as my bank has a limit of 200) I got him to say things he soon regretted. ( Not so much the content of what he said but how he expressed them. I already knew about his lack of courtesy and professionalism). I feigned outrage and immediately filed a complaint. The upshot of it was that his boss listened to the tapes, apologised on his behalf and I now have a whopping 500 quid withdrawal limit. I have no need for this increased limit but it felt bloody good to act ( vindicitively I have to admit) on this lowly useless bastard at my bank.

Next victim of my irrational behaviour - my architect. He prefaces all remarks with "given the circumstances." He is referring to my cancer. Here are three of his recent utterances. Totally hilarious. "When your wife comes to sell the house..." ( ie I am no longer around). "Well before I answer that question on time frame, how are things at your end..." ( ie how much time have I got left ) etc . And the most direct reference : "The studio at the back of the garden - will that depend on how the chemo goes?" And all the time he thinks he is being sensitive! You gotta laugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home