Thursday, April 28, 2005

Positron Emission Tomography (Pet Scan)

Was met at the Wolfson Brain Imaging Centre by an american radiographer with a glorious name. She had the usual difficulties with the IV injection but was good humoured about it. And thankfully I didn't faint. This procedure requires one to lie still for one hour and ten minutes. There is a cushion under your knees and you are strapped in. The head is placed in a kind of holder. Then you enter the machine. Not for claustrophobia sufferers or fat people. And if you have an itch - god help you. Just before I entered the thing, this itch above my right eyebrow was driving me mad. I had no choice but to get an assistant out of the control room and scratch it for me...! The bed moves every 6 minutes to scan a different part of the body. You can take a CD along with you - I was going to choose South African freedom songs but as Pavel sings these now (even in bed!) I thought it would be too emotional and not good for lying still. So I took some along some Cuban Son music - certainly it cheered up the radiographer.

I am currently radioactive and have to stay away from pregnant women and small children for nine and a half hours after the injection. I shan't be able to kiss the little boy goodnight. Results next week. Fingers crossed please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home